With its lantern clock tower and 'Big Ben' chime, the Tholsel is a distinctive image of Kilkenny. Built in 1761, the double five arch arcade was used as a covered market place.
It is now used for art exhibitions, and street theatre companies regularly perform there .The offices of Kilkenny Corporation Chamber is located in the building.
Its name, is derived from two old English words: "toll", meaning tax; and "sael", or hall, the place where tolls were paid. In the Middle Ages it served as court house, custom-house, guildhall and a meeting place for merchants.
Kilkenny County Council, County Hall, John Street, Kilkenny
Tel: +353 (0) 56 7794000 | Fax: +353 (0) 56 7794004 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Emergency outside office hours: : 1890 252 654
Feedback | About Us | Privacy | Disclaimer