Home > About Kilkenny > History > Famous Landmarks
As Gaeilge

 

Street Names of Kilkenny

Street Names of Kilkenny

Patrick Street -

Patrick Street leads from the Parade junction to the Waterford road, through the former St. Patrick's Gate. St. Patrick's Church was originally sited outside the Gate, and presumably that is where the street name came from.Photo of Patrick Street

Rose Inn Street -

this was traditionally the street of the inns including the Rose, the Garter, the Wheatsheaf and the Bush. The street appears on old documents as Rozyn, so the name is probably older than the period of the inns.

Horseleap Slip -

one of Kilkenny's famous slips - was probably given its name as a consequence of the veterinary surgeons who practised here and the horses who exercised there.

Friary Street -

A very old street known as Walkin Street until quite recently. The origin of the name is uncertain. It may be the Walking Street leading to the Walking Green, or Walkin may have been the name of a very early owner.

Pennefeather Lane -

this lane was constructed around 1700 by John Pennefeather, a local land owner.

Photo of Chapel Lane

Chapel Lane -

at one time the old James' Street chapel (built between 1772 and 1774), stood nearby. James' Sconce - the "Sconces" were originally narrow passageways inside the city walls which gave access to the defenders of the city.

Kierans' Street -

named after St. Kieran's Well and site of an ancient church at the northern end. Successively named Low Lane, Back Lane, King Street and Kieran Street.

Parliament Street -

named after the Confederate Parliament of 1641 - 1648, it was earlier called the Coal Market.

Dean Street -

this street had an entrance to the Dean's residence before the construction of the Coach Road. The Dean's gate to the Cathedral precincts was probably situated in its narrowest area.

Butts Green -

probably the oldest part of Kilkenny. It receives its name from the fact that the citizens practised archery at "Butts" on the green.

The Coach Road -

an entry in the Chapter Book of St. Canice's Cathedral dates September 20th 1689 notes:

"Ordered that a convenient coachway be made forthwith from Dean Street in Irishtown to the south door to said Cathedral for the convenience of the Duke of Ormonde's family and other persons of quality resorting to the said Church"

John's Green -

during eighteenth century this became the refuge of the dispossessed farming folk and other travelling people. A gallows for miscreants functioned in John's Green, formerly known as Gallow's Green.

The Butterslip

Photo of the Butterslipis where butter was sold for centuries on market days.

Katherine M Lanigan, Gerald Tyler (Eds), 'Kilkenny, Its Architecture & History', Appletree Press 1977.

 

Translate

Rate this page

How would you rate the following page content from 1 - 5?
Print Bookmark

Kilkenny County Council, County Hall, John Street, Kilkenny
Tel: +353 (0) 56 7794000 | Fax: +353 (0) 56 7794004 | Email: info@kilkennycoco.ie | Emergency outside office hours: : 1890 252 654
Feedback | About Us | Privacy | Disclaimer